How’s your spiritual health? No, really — how is it? In his book, 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, Donald Whitney helps the reader determine if he or she is spiritually healthy or simply spiritually busy. The two are not the same thing.
As you will recall, no group was busier being “spiritual” than the Jewish religious leaders of Jesus’ day, but, for them, busyness did not translate into Godliness. Whitney offers the following 10 questions to help the reader assess his or her spiritual health:
10 Questions to Assess Your Spiritual Health
- Do you thirst for God?
- Are you governed increasingly by God’s Word?
- Are you more loving?
- Are you more sensitive to God’s presence?
- Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?
- Do you delight in the Bride of Christ (the Church)?
- Are the spiritual disciplines of the Christian life increasingly important to you?
- Do you still grieve over sin?
- Are you a quicker forgiver?
- Do you yearn for Heaven and to be with Jesus?
The list above will help us assess our spiritual fitness in the same way the scales help us assess our physical fitness.